Sunday 2 June 2013

Day 81. Camusnagaur. Awoke to bird song (including cuckoo) at 3 a.m. and it was already getting light. Lovely breakfast chatting to a fellow cyclist and our b+b hosts before setting off again bound for Ullapool and points south and west. Ullapool seems to have grown and smartened up since I was last here 7 years ago although I note that a Tesco store has appeared and poor old Costcutter has closed. I did some shopping before heading off into the wilds of Dundonnell. It was a steady climb up to Braemore junction where I stopped to view Corrieshallock gorge a truly vertigo inducing experience made more memorable by a party of European tourists who thought it amusing to make the 130 year old suspension bridge over the gorge to sway alarmingly and seemed happy to ignore the notice that no more than 6 people should be on the bridge at any one time. I had another 5 miles of steady ascent reaching 332 metres (over 1000 feet) the highest point I've been on the bike in Scotland. There followed a very pleasant 7 mile descent to my present location at Camusnagaur and the Sail Mhor croft hostel. I appear to have the place to myself so can sleep in any of 8 bunkbeds. I have had a walk up to the waterfalls at Ardessie which are pretty impressive, including having a huge boulder wedged above one of the falls. Tomorrow I head for the gardens at Inverewe which I last visited about 40 years ago. Good night. Corrieshallock gorge and view from Camusnagaur.

No comments:

Post a Comment