Wednesday 26 June 2013

I return to the subject of Oyster Catchers.
Those of you who have been reading my blog will know I have had issues with these birds before.
I do not have a grievance against them (other than being woken at 02.30 by one of them) nor do I wish to pursue a vendetta.
My problem is not of the bird's making but of the misleading name they have been saddled with.
It is reasonable to assume that the name given to a bird should be at least vaguely accurate e.g. blackbird (obvious), green finch (obvious) or marsh harrier (harries other birds in the marsh). I have observed over the last few months that oyster catchers consistently and conspicuously do not catch oysters. Most of the time they don't even live anywhere near oysters and even if they did catch an oyster (which is really not difficult, they don't move very fast) they are poorly equipped to open the shell.
From what I can see they would be better named 'night startler' or 'mud prober'. I shall now leave this smart bird withv its neat black and white plumage and colourful bill and legs in peace.
I cycled over to Lancaster yesterday and back this morning, I am struck by how, with practice, my perception of distance, time and steepness of hills has altered. A year ago I would have considered a 20 mile bike ride a major undertaking and would push the bike up hills I can now comfortably cycle up. I fear I may have caught the cycling bug but there is no way I am getting into lycra!.
Meadow near Wray.

No comments:

Post a Comment