Wednesday 12 June 2013

Day 90.
Peebles.
Suddenly my odyssey is at an end. The weather yesterday scuppered my plan to visit the Lake of Menteith and finding myself in Stirling meant I was in striking distance of Edinburgh where Ian could meet me. So that is what has happened and here I am back where I started in Peebles, enjoying a glass of wine on the patio with the wood burning stove keeping us warm and the midges away.
This morning I was chatting with a charming American lady on a tour of Scotland with her daughter and we discussed the perils of driving in a foreign country and remembering which side of the road to be on.
I eventually found my way out of Stirling passing Plane castle (where I celebrated my 50th birthday) and coming to the House of the Binns the ancestoral home of the Dalyell family and was privileged to meet Tam himself who still lives there even though the house was given to the National Trust for Scotland in 1944. The house is splendid and is made more interesting by still being lived in. The view from the grounds over the Forth to Culross, Rosyth and the bridges is impressive.
Then on to Edinburgh where I cycled along with a chap from Teesdale who had cycled roundcthe 4 corners of Britain (Lands End, Dover, John O'Groats and Durness) covering about 60-70 miles a day, seriously hard work.
One last long uphill stretch through Morningside and I reached my destination at Hillend. Journey over.
No punctures in 2100 miles of cycling, no serious injuries or really dangerous incidents and mercifully no saddle-soreness. Relieved.
I shall keep the blog going to report on the progress (or lack of) towards producing a book about the trip, I have only been able to recount in the blog about half of the interesting places, people and things I have encountered, watch this space.
Good night.


Peacock at House of the Binns and Forth rail bridge from Queensferry.

4 comments:

  1. I second that! Congratulations and many thanks for the prose and pics. Safe journey home and a well earned rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Robin. We have really enjoyed reading your posts and the photos have also been great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a marnelous adventure - we look forward to the extended version - warts'n'all, we hope. Hoping we might see you before long to share your memories. We will be in Lancaster on Friday 26th July - perhaps we might see you then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello again and well done on completing your marathon adventure and raising so much money for such a worthwhile cause. I too have enjoyed reading your blog since we met on our different travels on the road from/to Pennan and would most definitely read your book should you write it, you do write very well. Congratulations again.

    ReplyDelete