Wednesday 5 June 2013

Day 84. Kinlochewe. I have been wrong twice in 20 hours. First I said in my last post that I was on the lower slopes of Liathach, well I wasn't, I was still on Beinn Eighe. Second, I thought I could ascend (how is this for some gaelic) Sgurra Ban by the Allt a Chuirn path. Well I couldn't. The path starts fine well made and gentle ascent. However, after about an hour of walking the path gets rougher and there is a scramble over a stream, then it gets really stony and eventually loose scree with very hard sharp stones. The last straw was having to start climbing and while I could have got up I doubted the wisdom of trying to come back down. So having got three quarters ofcthe way up the mountain I had to turn round a defeated man. The walk was a botanists dream, I don't know what the plants were but the variety of tiny alpine type flowers of blue, pink and purple was great and the regenerating forest of Scots pine and Birch is claiming back it's ancient territory. I didn't see any wild cats or pine martens but apparently they live hereabouts. Now to have some lunch and consider pedalling on towards Kyle of Lochalsh via Torridon. Good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment