Tuesday 4 June 2013

Day 82. Poolewe. I have no wifi and this device is running very slowly so I shall be brief and there may be no pics. I didn't get the hostel to myself a splendid fellow (John) turned up ready for a few days walking in the area, we hada good long conversation about various things from Scotland to care of the elderly and dementia and various pointsin between and there was a excellent sunset to watch. The ride over to Poolewe was straight forward with the usual ups and downs, I caught up with a young lady who was doing a sponsored cycle ride to raise money for Cancer research and as seems to be the way when you meet a fellow peddler we compared routes, distances travelled and great inclines we have cycled up (it seems the road from Unapool to Lochinver sticks in the mind of everyone who cycles it). I spent a lovely afternoon at Inverewe gardens, they really are splendid and the Rhododendrons and Azealeas were in full glory. Camped at Poolewe. Day 83. Kinlochewe. Another good day cycling on good roads with steady climbs via Gairloch and Loch Maree to Kinlochewe where I am staying in another bunkhouse that I may have all to myself unless there are late arrivals. Met another cyclist who is going all round the coast of Britain in 3 months, he started in Norwich and is going counter clockwise so has a long way still to go. Loch Maree is beautiful and is home to some of the remnants of the ancient Caledonian forest that is now being protected and helped to grow again. I went for a walk on the Beinn Eighe trail that I last visited 40+ years ago (I remember finding a Paris metro ticketon that occasion!) It is a well managed area with good paths and information. I am writing this on the lower slopes of Liathich which is a big enticing looking mountain I may well decided to walk up it tomorrow. Midges have arrived although not too bad yet, I had to use my tick removing tweezers today so am glad I hadn't bought them unnecessarily. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment