Saturday 1 June 2013

Day 80. Polbain. Some of you know I have a sore shoulder that has been troubling me for months making throwing and reaching uncomfortable, today I did a foolish thing in a moment of anger that caused searing pain (sympathy please) down my right arm that took 2 hours, 2 paracetamol, 2 ibuprofen, application of ibuprofen gel and a cold patch to ease it. Some pillock in a pickup couldn't wait a few seconds for me to reach a passing place and squeezed past on a narrow round with a big ditch on the side so I thumped the side of his truck, forgetting in my moment of ire that such an action causes me pain. For a while I thought I would not be able to continue but it has now eased and as long as I do not behave so recklessly again should be ok. After a wet night, today dawned bright and sunny so I was able to pack a dry tent, however, it soon clouded over and it has rained on and off all afternoon. I came by way of Lochinver, Inverkirkaig and Achiltibuie to Polbain and a b+b overlooking the Summer Isles (not looking summery tonight). There was a fascinating exhibition in the Coigach community hall about the men from this area that went to Wyoming in the early 20th century to establish sheep farming. Also, best chocolate cake ever at the Piping college cafe. I have realised that one of the things that makes Achmelvich so special is no dogs, they are not allowed on the campsite or beach and is lovely not having the peace disturbed by frantic calls from dog owners trying to keep their excitable pooch under any sort of control and of course no dog excrement to watch out for (plenty of the sheep kind though). Sorry to upset any dog lovers but my opinions on the subject are what they are. Pics of Achmelvich beach and Stac Pollaidh with gorse (which is in full bloom everywhere here). Good night.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, write the book! More dogs on leads and under better control would certainly be welcome - and watch out for all the idiots on the roads! Still enjoying reading your blog, great stuff.

    ReplyDelete