Friday 31 May 2013

Day 76. Tarbert by Scourie. I have not been able to access the internet for a few days so some catching up to be done. The walk to Sandwood bay is 4.5 miles of rather uninteresting moorland and lochs but is well worth the effort. Sandwood bay and my camp at Tarbert. The day had started badly, being the idiot I am ignored the irritating noise from the back of the bike until it suddenly got much worse and I discovered I had lost a bolt and another had sheered off from the back carrier. I was able to effect a temporary repair with cable ties and made it to Rhiconich where I met some better prepared cyclists who were able to remove the broken bolt and supply a new one. After my walk to Sandwood and back I then carried on to Tarbert, arriving after 10 p.m. but still in time to see the sunset over Handa Island. Tired, I slept well. Day 77. Scourie. I was very pleased I made the effort to get to Tarbert the previous evening, I was able to breakfast andpack up the tent on a fine morning and be first in the queue for the 9 a.m. ferry. Just as well because 2 minibuses turned up and the ferry is only a little inflatable. In any list of 'dream jobs' wildlife warden on a beautiful island must figure and the Handa gig must be one of the best. If you like sea birds this is the place to go, there are lots of all different species but veryfew Puffins sadly. I had a wonderful walk round the island I saw 2 lizards and 2 newts which thrilled me more than 10 000 guillemots andI saw a cuckoo being chased by enraged small birds. Incidently, Cuckoos are everywhere up here, I haveheard them all day every day for the past week and have seen them (rather than just heard) many times having never seen one before. Rock stack on Handa and the ferry back. I really treated myself back in Tarbert where there is an excellent restraunt serving local seafood and I had lobsterfor the first time in my life, very nice it was too and the restraunt staff didn't laugh at my desperate attemts to search out every last edible morsel. The hill out of Tarbert is very steep so being full of fine food pushed the bike out of the village and on to Scourie where I camped. Day 78. Achmelvich. What is it about bacon sandwiches? I stopped at Kylesku and some bikers were having bacon butties and I just had to have one, and it was good. The road from Unapool by Drumbeg, Clashnessie and Stoer is very hilly so lots of pushing up and hair-raising downs. Iwas enveloped in a cold mist for much of the way but as I approached my destination clear blue sky was restored (althugh the low cloud lurked in the distance). View from Stoer and sunset over Achmelvich beach. Achmelvich is one of my favourite places ever since coming here with my parents and some siblings over 40 years ago, the white sand beach, the green turf and grey limestone all in perfect proportion and a backdrop of stunning mountain scenery ... magical. Day 79. Lochinver. I will be brief, it is grey and drizzly, no scenery but I am happy to be in the best pie shop in the world (www.piesbypost.co.uk) and will shortly go to chocolate heaven, they know how to cope with lousy weather round here. Lochinver in the mist from the path to Achmelvich. Tomorrow I aim for Achiltibuie. Good day.

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you haven't been slacking ! What happy memories of camping in the West Highlands. I trust your joints are standing up well to the pounding !

    ReplyDelete