Wednesday 22 May 2013

Findhorn houses, Kessock Bridge, Culloden memorial. Day 70. North Kessock. Today, dear reader, I have failed to reach my intended destination. During the first part of my trip back in March I struggled against a cold relentless easterly wind, today I struggled against a cold north westerly wind and by the time I reached the Kessock bridge I was pretty fed up and very tired so have sought refuge, warmth and rest in a b+b at North Kessock overlooking the beautiful Beauly Firth on a lovely sunny but perishingly cold evening. I ask you again to consider birds, not the nocturnally noisy Oyster Catcher, but the oft overlooked Blackbird. I was joined for breakfast by the boldest male Blackbird I have ever encountered he hopped around as I ate my pain du chocolat (thanks Letty) and took morsels from the toe of my shoe. I have seen many birds on my travels Kingfisher, Yellowhammer, Goldfinch and Curlew to name a few but few bring as much pleasure as the good ole Blackbird with its fine song and fearless nature. My trip today took me by way of Forres and Nairn to the site of the battle of Culloden, where in April 1746 the exhausted and cold Jacobite army was routed in 90 minutes by the Government army, a bleak and windswept moor it is but the visitor centre is excellent giving lots of background information to the events leading up to the battle, well worth a visit. Inverness seems busy and a lot smarter than I remember it from my last visit but I had not time to stop having lingered so long at Culloden. So tomorrow I shall explore the Black Isle and report back. Good night.

1 comment:

  1. You need a medal for getting as far as you did in that wind, not to mention heavy rain and hail showers! You stuck the course better than we 'golfers' did. Unfortunately the wind must be against you again today but I do hope you get to see the dolphins. You know where we are now, so if you need a refuge on your return journey do look us up.

    ReplyDelete