Saturday 25 May 2013

Day 73 part 2. Altnaharra. It is difficult to imagine there is anywhere better to be than northern Scotland on a fine day. I was on the road for 8.30 and made good progress along largely quiet roads passing through Ardgay, Bonar Bridge, Lairg and Crask Inn. I had read about a fire at the visitor centre at the Falls of Shin and it is very sad to see the utter destruction of the centre and the smell of smoke still hangs round, I believe quite a number of people in the area are now out of work as a result, I hope it can soon be rebuilt. Lairg is a charming little town perched high up on the shores of Loch Shin and has a excellent visitor centre telling the story of the town and surrounding area. The climb to the Crask Inn is very long but so gradual it is not arduous, the Inn is very isolated and lacking in modern comforts but the lady who runs it emerges from the back when summoned by the bell on the bar and supplied me with cake and ginger beer for a mere £1.50. I was talking to a couple from South Africa who are touring the area and I was impressed by the gentleman's story of cycling from Montreal to New York through the tail end of a hurricane. I will not grumble about a bit of wind and rain for a day or two! I am staying in a log cabin behind the Altnaharra Hotel tonight, the hotel is rather posh (catering for hunting and fishing types) but also provides less salubrious accommodation for the likes of common cyclists like me. I have been allowed in the lounge to access the internet. Tomorrow I take the road to Hope and will assess whether or not an ascent of Ben Hope is a sensible option, if not I will aim for Durness but will camp out if I scale the most northerly Munroe (mountain over 3000 feet). Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment