Sunday 19 May 2013

Day 67. Elgin. Fortunately it was a hot pepperoni pizza I managed to drop on the bed and carpet. I appear to have travelled back in time and found myself in a b+b from the 1970's. The journey from Turriff was made under grey any very misty conditions with a brief appearance by the sun at Portknockie where I took a pic of the remarkable Bow Fiddle Rock which is close to the aptly named Shitten Rock which is white from guano. I followed cycle route 1 exclusively today and found the signing very good, especially the fiddly bits through towns. Portsoy is a delightful fishing village with a lovely park and is the home of very fine ice cream (I had chocolate orange today) unfortunately they do not have any outlets to the west but I think they may be destined for greatness so watch out for it in an ice cream parlour near you. Elgin has been a very important city in the past and has a ruined cathedral to prove it, Bonnie Prince Charlie stayed here on his way to Culloden, in hindsight perhaps he should have stayed longer. Tomorrow I shall revisit places I last saw in 1970 (I think) like Duffus castle and Findhorn. Good night. Bow Fiddle Rock and Elgin city football ground.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Robin. Will you still be in the vicinity of Burghead/Findhorn on Tuesday, pm? I realise you have a carefully planned schedule. If you are, then the offer of a late afternoon cuppa still stands. If the trains are on time I should be able to put the kettle on post 4pm. If you are on the move out of the area before then I can recommend The Bothy in Burghead for a great coffee and good food!
    Letty

    ReplyDelete