Sunday 12 May 2013

Day 60. Arbroath. I have long had an irrational liking for Arbroath connected, I think, with the football team holding the world record for the most goals ever scored in a match (36). So today is a big day for me and I was desperately hoping I would like the place. Yet again the day started brightly then went all wet and cloudy before ending all nice and sunny. The ride from Old Scone via Balbeggie, NNewtyle, Glamis, Forfar and Friockheim was one of the best days cycling I have had. The weather was good, the road quiet and gently undulating and the views to Blairgowrie and Schiehallion were wonderful. I stopped at some lovely gardens near Guthrie (yet again I have forgotten the name of them) although while there saw a 'paperbark maple' ( an amazing red tree with amazing bark) and great view of a kingfisher that dazzled with irridescent blue as the sun shone on it. My first impression of Arbroath was favourable as even the less affluent areas looked cared for and although the centre of town has it's share of betting shops, pound shops etc. the town is lovely with rich red sandstone buildings (a bit like Carlisle in that resppect) and lots of parkland (although nearly everyone here appears to have a dog ...don't get me started on them). Ibhave found a lovely b+b so I am looking forward to a good night's sleep uninterrupted by oyster catchers. No pics tonight as the battery on my device went flat. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment