Wednesday 15 May 2013

Day 62 Tarland and Day 63 Huntly. I am in a b+b in Huntly this evening but am concerned I can hear every word of the people in the next room, me thinks the accomodation has been created on the cheap, still it is cheap so I guess you get what you pay for. I got quite wet today but at least no snow although the forecast for the next few days doesn't look too good. Yesterday was a good day, after breakfast I pedalled up the coast to Dunnottar castle set in a dramatic cliff top position and scene of some important events in Scottish history. Then on to Crathes castle a more gentile place where a volunteer tipped me off about a folk night at the Aberdeen Arms in Tarland. The tip was well worth it, although the Aberdeen Arms is pretty basic and accommodates a takeaway in part of the pub, the quality of the music was first rate and I left at midnight while the musicians played on, I will try and put a clip on youtube but not sure I can do that from here. Today I have visited a 2nd century earth house and two National Trust for Scotland castle gardens at Craigievar and Leith Hall which were both charming in their own way but would have been better for some warm sunny weather! Heading for Fyvie and Turriff tomorrow. Good night. Dawn at Johnshaven, Aberdeen Arms folk night, Leith Hall gardens and Dunnottar castle.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Robin. Mum (Tiesh) and I have been following your travels again since you set off North. Now I'm really concerned that you'll make it to the Moray coast before I get back to our caravan! I know that you are wanting to visit Pennan because of its connections with the movie. Can I also suggest you visit the Lighthouse museum in Fraserburgh - it's well worth it. I shall be back up to Burghead by Tuesday afternoon - will you have passed us by by then - I hope not.
    Letty

    ReplyDelete