Friday 10 May 2013

pics of Falkland Palace, view from Hill of Tarvit and Triffids at Tarvit. Day 58. Perth. I survived my night in the wild woods, slightly disappointed I was not disturbed by any wildlife other than a buzzard squawking this morning. It was another beautiful sunny morning and after a breakfast of banana, snickers and orange juice had a lovely walk up the Hill of Tarvit and through the woods round the grand house. Then on to the bike for a ride to Falkland Palace (actually it was a hunting lodge) which although built in the 15th century spent centuries derelict after a fire and was restored at the end of the 19th century, almost as a shrine to the Stuart dynasty, but is very interesting and, in the well kept gardens has the oldest real tennis court in Britain. Here in Falkland was the best lunch deal so far, chicken noodle soup and crusty bread for £1.20, this is my kind of place. The ride over to Perth involved a long steady climb followed by a long steady descent of 3 miles through thickly wooded valley, but by now it had started to rain. After stopping for a pot of earl grey and proper custard cream I carried on to the campsite at Scone. I had a nice chat with a fellow camper who had just come from cycling round Islay in the wind and rain. A shower and change then down into Perth to find (yes you've guessed it) Wetherspoons, from where I write this. Tomorrow I meet up with an old school friend who I haven't seen for 40 years! Good night.

1 comment:

  1. Hoping your breakfast oyster catchers tasted good.

    ReplyDelete