Friday 24 May 2013

Day 72. Tain. Sing, 'what a difference a day makes when the wind is light and clouds are higher and the sun is bright, I can see for miles and miles and miles.' Lovely ride over from noisy Dingwall (Ross County football club are relaying their pitch and start work at 7.00 and finish at 21.30) on a little road high up the hillside through patches of forest and shared by few cars.The view overto the Black Isle and beyond was super and at Invergordon was an enormous cruise liner (I am told it is the Queen Mary but it could be the Bootlebumtrinket for all I know). Didn't see much of Tain as I made straight for the campsite at Dornoch Firth where I met a chap who is walking round the coast of Britain, I will post a link to his website (I have left the address in my tent). Visited a charming little church that not only has a Pictish carved stone in the graveyard but a portable wooden pulpit! Have also met up with a friend who is cycling the route I am following but in the other direction so we are going to dine together tonight. Had trouble uploading pics yesterday, will try again now. Good night. Chanonry point, Campsite at Dornoch Firth, Edderston Curch and 9th century pictish carved stone.

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear Robin, I had 16 days to catch up on, life is too busy for me in the summer. Oh for a bike and a Scottish open road. Harking back to Bath, (that's England) totally agree, great disappointment, probably all started when we got in such a long traffic jam that we had to drive out in the opposite direction and find our way back north on the little roads. Advised all sons, please try and choose another uni than Bath! Mission accomplished.
    Then wonderful Scotland; the highlight for me so far, Local Hero country. Also agree best ever film with best ever music, but then there were all the blue sky views, the glorious looking castles, the wonderful 'ills and ice cream??? I seriously think you're kidding yourself that you're not that bothered about ice cream...
    I'm doing a 5 hour cycle orienteering tomorrow out of Ingleton (underground/overground festival) and haven't cycled for ages, probably not such a good idea, so keep all the good blogs coming while I'm recuperating.

    ReplyDelete