Monday 13 May 2013

Day 61. Johnshaven. Arbroath has become my favourite place visit so far, not only is the town very pleasant the people are too, most of the folk I met were cheerful and friendly. This morning I went to take a picture of Arbroath's football ground and discovered the gates were open so I wandered in and asked a chap if I could go in the ground and I ended up being given a guided tour of the whole place by a splendid fellow who turned out to be the chairman. I have never been behind the scenes at a football ground before and I was very impressed and had to work hard at remembering I am middle aged bloke not an excited 10 year old. I was thrilled and especially touched by the kindness and generosity shown to a stranger. I shall redouble my support for Arbroath f.c. and will endeavour to get to see them play (perhaps a friendly against the Wednesday). My ride to Johnshaven was aided by a stiff following wind and rewarded with some superb coastal views. I have met up again with my friend from Peebles who is working up this way and has long extolled the virtues of Johnshaven, he is right, this is a wonderful part of the world. Good night. Trophy cabinet in Arbroath's board room and Lunan bay.

2 comments:

  1. Wow - that's fantastic about the tour of Arbroath! Imagine if every club was as friendly!

    Adrian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget a smoakie! Arbroath does sound a good place.
    I am glad the weather looks hopeful up there, as I am going on a CTC tour from Inverness starting on Sunday, up the west coast to Ullapool, then Achmelvich Beach YH, Durness, Cape Wrath, Altnaharra, Tain, Inverness. I'll raise a glass of Guinness to you next week! Very Quakerly eh?
    Best wishes - Simon

    ReplyDelete