Friday 17 May 2013

Day 65. Turriff. I know weather forecasting is never exact but when they particularly mention eastern Scotland as being ' fine with noticeably less wind' it raised my expectations as I set off to visit Pennan yesterday. The ride from Huntly to Banff was great I did 14 miles in one hour but as I reached Macduff a big black cloud had stationed itself above me and stayed put and gently rained on me as I struggled up the hills. Pennan was lovely and I had a nice bowl of soup in the hotel, the phone box is not where it was in Local Hero and needs painting but at last the sun came out (see pic). The hill out of Pennan was steep and very long I did the first 2 miles in half an hour and even after I got to the top the 'noticeably less wind' was noticeable by its robust and very real presence. I struggled on and eventually made it to Turriff and a nice campsite by the town park. Today I let the bus do the work and explored the area of Fraserburgh (really good lighthouse museum (thanks Letty for the recommendation)), Peterhead (big ships) and Aberdeen (big, grey and choked with traffic, the bus took an hour to do 7 miles). Back to a b+b in Turriff anticipating heavy rain tomorrow. Good night. Me at Pennan, Pennan Hotel and Fraserburgh lighthouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment