Friday 15 February 2013

Crocuses at Botanic Garden
Edinburgh from Nelson Memorial

My apologies for my earlier post with my hideous visage thereon, I was was so pleased with myself for having managed to a) take a pic with me in it and b) managed to upload it on to the blog. I did not consider what it might look like to those viewing the page. Sorry.
To compensate I include two more edifying pictures taken during my trip, the plants in the greenhouses at the Botanic Garden were enchanting, tiny little flowers emerging from pristine green domes.
I think I am getting better at this lark, sometime soon it might even be interesting.

I went to see the musical 'Cats' last night, not sure it was really my cup of tea, it felt like watching Summertime Special with the Young Generation dressed like cats (apologies for those of you too young or with too much good taste to have ever seen Summertime Special). I nearly left at the interval but having spent good money on the ticket decided to stick it out, and to be fair it was better in the second half but essentially it is saved only by one decent song, some good special effects and the costumes. I'm not sure what Edward Lear would make of it, the words are rendered unintelligible by amplified singing or maybe I need some sort of hearing aid.
Although Edinburgh is a delightful city I was dismayed to see that 3 years since my last visit the place is still greatly disrupted by the ongoing construction of the tram system, I only hope it it is worth all the trouble when (and if) they get it finished, I really like the trams in Sheffield and Manchester so maybe Edinburgh will eventually be enhanced with it's own system.
I was also dismayed to see the number of homeless people begging is as large as ever, I know there are many individuals and organisations that work with homeless people to give opportunities to find ways out of such a life but clearly either more needs to be done or there are those for whom that life is one they can't or won't change. Do we accept there will always be beggars and if so how is it best to repond to them? Discuss.
Went up on Calton Hill this morning the views were stunning in every direction under a virtually clear blue sky, it felt very spring like and on my journey home saw many lambs in the fields. The year is new and refreshed and so am I.

No comments:

Post a Comment