Wednesday 27 February 2013

I am reliably informed that the temperature went to -5c last night.

I spent the night in my sleeping bag in my tent in my back garden.

The tent.

It is quite a while since I last slept in a tent and had forgotten that they are not soundproof. I had no idea, until last night, just how much traffic, especially heavy lorries, use the local roads at night, this kept me awake.
I had forgotten how when you are camping your kidneys play a rotten trick on you by working overtime and cause you to get for a wee every few hours, this kept me awake.
I had forgotten how there is no thermal insulation in a tent and although my sleeping bag kept most of me toasty warm, by 6.30 this morning my nose and feet were very cold and this kept me awake.

The tent had a rather fetching coating of frost when I got up and the flysheet had a certain crispness when I unzipped it to get out. I did manage to sleep for some of the night and felt quite pleased to have managed to stay out alnight despite the temptation of a warm bed only yards away, I think this bodes well for my chances of surviving the trip.

Just a gentle 12 mile ride today via Helwith Bridge, Austwick and Eldroth, the sky was blue and cloudless, the views, particularly of Pen-Y-Ghent, were marvellous but again I had forgotten my camera so you will just have to take my word for it.

Tonight, Badminton, tomorrow a nice long walk if the weather stays fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment