Monday 18 February 2013

Gosh that was hard work today. It has been a glorious early spring day with lots of sunshine and birds singing, the call of the the Great Tit really sounds like the herald of spring. I even got James to come on a gentle 5 mile bike ride this morning, first time he has been out on a bike for years, perhaps the start of new exercise interest for him.

Now, Thomas, get your map out and see where I went today.

Feeling bold and energetic I loaded the panniers with bottles of water, some sandwiches and a flask of tea and set off through the village (stopping at the newly reopened shop to buy some sweets). I headed north through Stackhouse, Little Stainforth, Helwith Bridge, Horton in Ribblesdale (where for the first time I overtook some other cyclists), Selside and Ribblehead. Here I stopped to eat my sandwiches whist admiring the views of the railway viaduct, Whernside and Ingleborough. I then turned south west through Chapel le Dale ( lovely little church here containing the graves of and a memorial to the navvies who died building the railway) to Ingleton. Here I turned south east on a little road that runs parallel and to the north of the A65 to Clapham, Austwick and Lawkland.

I covered only 29.5 miles but it felt like more with the uphill climbs and the weight in the panniers, it took me some time to recover and I regretted not having worn my padded cycling shorts. However, if I am to do this journey I will have to get used to such hardship.

Tomorrow a more gentle ride without long uphill bits and I will try to remember my camera so I can post some new pics.

Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment