Saturday 23 February 2013

I never cease to be amazed by the power of theatre to hold one in thrall. Northern Broadside must surely be among the most talented, innovative and versatile theatre groups in Britain, I first saw them at Skipton Auction Mart in 2000 doing 'Much Ado About Nothing' and I was impressed then and have seen several productions since. Their current offering of 'Rutherford and Son' I saw today in the company of my friend Ruth at the Dukes Theatre in Lancaster is amusing, powerful and brilliant, they are on tour and if they are coming to a theatre near you I would highly recommend them. The play was written in 1912 by Githa Sowerby and although giving a glimpse of family structure and roles in an early 20th Century industrialist's household many of the themes are still relevant today.

 Afterwards we had an excellent meal at Pizza Margarita (now in it's 34th year of business - they must be doing something right) to round off a highly satisfying day. The icing on the cake was Sheffield Wednesday winning, we will escape relegation yet!

Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment