Tuesday 2 April 2013

Day 20 I felt very intrepid this morning, the tent was white with frost and I had survived the coldest night so far. The night sky over Cambridge was very clear last night with many stars and planets on view, unfortunately the battery in my device had run right down thanks to Starbucks kicking me out before it had charged up. Anyway, Cambridge is a fascinating city well adapted to a bicycle life and with so many astonishingly fine buildings anyone of which could form the pride and joy of most towns. I know some of you have suggested I ditch the tent but I am really enjoying camping and it costs about 20% of the price of b+b. The caravan and camping sites I have used are all well equipped, at Polstead the showers had underfloorheating. By the way the town I forgot yeaterday was Haverhill. I was sorry to miss Old Scholars reunion at Ackworth I shall make a point of being there next year to save someone else the ignomy of coming last in the Badsworth run. Today's journey has been by turns delightful (Grantchester), quiet (10 minutes without seeing another vehicle on the B1042), frustrating (getting lost in Bedford), muddy(trying to get unlost in Bedford), infuriating(doing extra miles due to getting lost in Bedford), terrifying (cycling 10 miles on the A214 due to getting lost in b####dy Bedford) andgreat relief on reaching the most cycle friendly place on earth, Milton Keynes. This is a town that has been sneered at and been the butt of many jokes but as you know I am easily pleased and although the place has no sense ofhaving grown gradually over time the open space and the way traffic is kept away from bikes and pedestrians is veryappealling and the copious bits of public art etc is endearing. I like it. Will now try for some pics. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment