Tuesday 9 April 2013

Day 26 At last I have found a place I don't like. Bath. Now I fell out with Bath as soon as I arrived, I had fondly imagined something similar to Harrogate, classy but down to earth. Bath however is busy, noisy and tatty, I get the impression that the town has rested on it's regency heritage laurels for too long and takes it for granted that visitors will come no matter how outrageously expensive everything is or how unpleasant most of the town is. Obviously there are some very smart and impressive parts and while these have been well cared for the rest is a mess. On arriving in Bath I set about looking for a b+b but most had no vacancies and those that did have room were the most expensive I had found so far, even travelodge wanted £65, I went looking for a campsite and followed signs for 4miles out of town before turning back and eventually found a nice b+b at a price I could afford. My day started wet with the first proper rain since day 2 but it slowly improved as the day went on. My first stop of the day was West Kennet long barrow followed by Silbury Hill and Avebury all impressive and significant prehistoric sites built by some determined and industrious ancient Britons. Then by way of Devizes and the Kennet and Avon canal towpath to Bradford on Avon. All the way from Avebury to Bradford my journey was accompanied by the sound of powerful artillery explosions from Salisbury Plain, I wonder what they are practising for. At Devizes is Caen Hill locks on the canal, 29 locks raising the canal 290 feet in 2 miles (see pic) it makes Bingley5 rise look a bit tame. The ride along the canal was really good and make a delightful walk or ride at any time of year. I had thought I might spend 2 nights in Bath but have decided to move on to Wells tomorrow. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment