Wednesday 3 April 2013

Day 21. Although I did like Milton Keynes in many respects it does feel a bit strange and can look deserted and is very big, it took me about an hour to cycle out of the city onto the appalling A241 which frayed my nerves so much I detoured via Winslow to Buckingham. I then took the opportunity to visit the landscape gardens at Stowe. These are a bit like Studley Royal at Fountains Abbey but without the advantage of the Abbey ruins and a bit over the top really, ostentatious. I wonder at the arrogance, self confidence and belief in their right to as they pleased of those who developed these opulent parks building great follies to impress their peers when their workers would have lived in much more modest circumstances. However, one cannot help but be awed by the scale of the place. I then continued to Brackley,Banbury and Sibford to stay with my cousin on their farm also calling in on my Aunt and Uncle. I will be staying here a day or two before moving on. Some pics of Stowe. Good night. Pics of frosted tent at Milton Keynes and Stowe.

No comments:

Post a Comment