Saturday 13 April 2013

Day 31 Bournemouth. What a miserable day to be outside, it started Ok and after a hearty breakfast at the B+B in Shaftesbury I left that delightful town before 10 a.m. and enjoyed good progress for 3 miles in dry if misty conditions. As I neared the top of the first climb of the day zig zagging up the hill at Melbury Abbas the rain started. It stayed with me and got heavier as I pedalled resolutely onward to Tollard Royal, Cranbourne Chase (which is apparently very scenic but it was impossible to tell so dense was the mist and rain), Farnham (missing out on the delightfully named Sixpenny Handley) and on to Wimbourne Minster. I was so cold and wet by this point I went into Waitrose to get food, warmth and a quick change into some dry clothes. The local Police and motor traders were holding a joint road safety and economical car promotion (not sure what a 1987 Aston Martin DB7 was doing there but it looked very nice)and I did feel sorry for their somewhat bedraggled appearance and futile efforts to engage people more intent on getting somewhere warm and dry. If anything the rain and wind increased as I got near to the coast and I did myself no favours by missing the cycle route signs and added a few miles by going into Poole then overshooting Southbourne to get to my destination at the home of my Brother, Sister in Law and nephew. I was very wet, my 'waterproofs' weren't up to withstanding 5 hours of persistent heavy rain and I squelched into the house and dripped on the kitchen floor. It was a great relief to get a hot shower and into some dry clothes before an excellent meal. There are no pictures today, I did consider taking a pic of the stormy seas at Bournemouth (there were people surfing ....crazy) but did not want to risk water damage to my device. Perhaps some pics tomorrow. Good night.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Robin, It's been hockey today and I had to do the bibs - no you and no Ray and it POURED down. I have not left a message for ages (note a kick up the backside from yesterdays comments!!) I've been at the Davis Cup selling my stuff and catching up on my return. It was so good to catch up on about 11 days of your travels yesterday but no time to post. Now I have. Great to hear you got a hockey match in. I'll bet you were better than you thought! Don't like the sound of sore knees etc. Give yourself a wee rest. Loved yesterday's pics of the lovely little village. There are truly some wonderful hidden places in this country which need exploration. Hope the weather picks up. It's certainly getting warmer but that means rain probably. Keep keeping us entertained :)

    ReplyDelete