Thursday 18 April 2013

Days 35 and 36 (I think)
Winchester.
Didn't get to post yesterday due to low battery, have now found a Wetherspoons so getting to charge phone and get free wifi.
Salisbury was very noisy Tuesday night with a police helicopter buzzing around for about half an hour then on Wednesday morning every lawn mower and power tool in the district seemed to be in use from 8 a.m.
My journey yesterday was mostly great, I stopped at Mottisfont Abbey for a wander around the house and gardens which was very fine and well worth a visit.
I then continued on my way towards Winchester along an old railway line to King's Sombourne during which I encountered no fewer than 4 stoats on of which I inadvertently robbed of it's lunch by startling it so much it let go of the baby rabbit it had, which promptly shot off in one direction while the stoat let out an anguished squeal as it shot off in the other direction almost under my wheels.
After King's Sombourne I missed a turn and added 6 miles to my route but it was very nice weather and untaxing cycling so I was not too distressed.
I found a Caravan Club site that takes tents a couple of miles out of Winchester and after pitching camp returned to the town for food and a wander round. This is another town with a long and distinguished history having been the capital of England in the time of Alfred the Great, the cathedral is imposing without being impressive but the town is lively and has plenty of interest.
Today I cycled to Alresford and discovered where some of the rich (deserving or undeserving I couldn't say) live. I expect the M3 corridor has a number of places that attract the wealthy but Alresford must rank high on any list of desirable places to live.
Boutiques, Patisseries, Delis, and Jewellers abound and not a pound shop to be seen. I wonder if the people living there have any idea what life is like in some less prosperous places in Britain. Creating wealth is all very well but unless it gets passed on to all areas it only benefits the few.
Back to Winchester this afternoon and visits to an ancient 'hospital' (alms houses) where the residents wear black or red robes and give 'dole' (beer and bread) to travellers, then I visited the town mill which has been restored by the National Trust and again produces stone ground flour.
There is an an abundance of rivers and waterways hereabouts and it is a centre for watercress production, I took a very pleasant walk through some preserved wetlands on the edge of the city centre but didn't see any of the otters or water voles that live there, however did get to watch a Jay as it went about it's business.
Evening meal at an excellent tapas bar and thence to here to write this.
Tomorrow I return north for a break before heading further north next month.
I shall continue this blog as  I reflect on my journey so far.
Good night.




No comments:

Post a Comment