Friday 12 April 2013

Day 30 (I've checked as I had lost count). Shaftesbury. I have done it again and fallen for new places. Shaftesbury is a delightful town perched on a hill overlooking Blackmore Vale and the views are stunning. There is a really nice promenade walk to allow one to take in the view which this evening with the setting sun casting a warm light over the vale and surrounding hills, truly beautiful. Shaftesbury has a long and distinguished history and is where King Alfred established a nunnery for his daughter in 800 and the town grew around that and continued after the dissolution of the monasteries. The town has lots of little ginnels and steep lanes including the famous Gold Hill (see pic). I also fell for the little town of Bruton which I had never heard of before a, charming little place with a school founded in 1519 and once had an abbey bits of which remain most obviously the dovecote that stands on the hill above the town, reminiscent of Glastonbury(see pic). I found the ride today hard work my left knee and right hip were uncomfortable so I hope a good nights rest will set me up to cope with the wind and rain expected tomorrow as I head to Bournemouth. Good night. Pics of Bruton dovecote, Gold Hill, Sexey's Hospital, Bruton (also has streets called Lusty and Amor Barton, interesting theme).

3 comments:

  1. Where are all your friends! It's a week since anyone left a comment - come on, Robin needs support!
    On which, keep going there, mate.
    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Robin!
    Mum (Tiesh) and I have spent a very enjoyable hour this morning at Ashfield catching up with your travels. Now that we have worked out how to log on to the system we shall be following your reports regularly. They make very entertaining and informative reading and we loved all the photos. Hope you've made it to Bournemouth and found many tea rooms on the way!
    Letty

    ReplyDelete
  3. You continue to introduce us to the most wonderful parts of Britain - next time; small film crew, and the trip might pay for itself - Hair may need a makeover but small price to pay.

    ReplyDelete