Thursday 11 April 2013

Days 26 and 27 No internet connectivity yesterday. I may have been a bit harsh on Bath, it has some very fine architecture and a wonderful walk around the hills overlooking the city and the b+b I stayed in (White Cottage) was very good. My ride over the Mendip Hills was lovely and well signed, it was a bit of a shock to have real hills again, I even had to push the bike up some. I went by Saltford and Stoke Chew to Priddy, an interesting little village with a long history nestling in a hollow on the south side of the Mendips. I had a ride over to Cheddar Gorge which is truly impressive but very much accessible only by motor vehicle, the road is narrow with no footpath but there is a good walk above the Gorge. It started raining just as left the Gorge and continued all night and into this morning. I spent yesterday evening and this evening in the Queen Victoria pub in Priddy, quite the best pub I have been too, friendly, warm, good food and a good selection of beers and ciders. Today I cycled round the Priddy Nine Barrows then had a walk round Ebbor Gorge above Wookey Hole, not as big and impressive as Cheddar but I had the place to myself and the only sound was birdsong. Suddenly there are insects I have been able supplement my diet by cycling with my mouth open, I have also found myself getting too hot for the first time on the trip. Wells is another interesting town steeped in all manner of history and a very good sweet shop with a surly assistant, the Cathedral is impressive and the parish church runs it close. Moving on to Glastonbury and the Tor with it's tower had to be done and is is certainly worthy of it's status, it was still a bit misty but the views were super and it certainly stands out from the levels around. The town of Glastonbury is just weird a strange mixture of traditional Somerset town and new age/alternative lifestyle vibe. Not sure who is ripping off who but anyone with an interest in crystals, meditation, yoga and any number of other practioners of 'ancient' or eastern roads to spiritual enlightenment are on hand to part you from your money (having first convinced you that material wealth is a barrier to enlightenment). I fear many vulnerable people are taken in by charlatans in Glastonbury, it certainly seems to have more than it's fair share of people living rough and with alcohol and mental illness issues. OK so I guess I had better leave the cosy warmth of the pub and get back to my cosy tent. Tomorrow, Shaftesbury. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment