Tuesday 26 March 2013

Day 13
Epilogue
Pictures below are of Hunstanton St Edmund's chapel and lighthouse, shells on the beach, clenchwarton church and Fakenham at dusk.
Well I made it to the campsite after at one time fearing I had caught something dreadful.
The day started well with excellent breakfast of porridge and eggs benedict, if you are ever looking for b+b in Hunstanton I can wholeheartedly recommend The Peacocks , very comfortable accommodation and a friendly welcome.
I was very impressed with Hunstanton despite it being March the place seemed well kept and getting ready for the new season, the modest cliffs at the north end of town are interesting with coloured bands of rock and the beach was strewn with countless razor clam shells.
My second stop of the day was at Ringstead where there is a remarkable shop with a maze of rooms and courtyards selling all manner of antiques and gifts as well as general provisions. As I was on my bike my only purchase was some pastilles.
My third stop was at Burnham Market a charming little village with stream flowing along the main street and lots of pretty architecture including fine Georgian houses.
Here I stopped by a bakery that was advertising 'freshly baked Nelsons slice' having never heard of such a thing and being both peckish and adventurous bought some of this stuff that turned out to be like a scone only softer and baked as a tray bake. Apart from containing candied peel (an rotten trick) it was quite nice. However within the hour I felt proper poorly and very uncomfortable forcing me to spend some time in a nice tea room at Holkham while the effects ran their course. I was seriously convinced the confection had been laced with senna and I would have to abandon my plans and seek another b+b in Wells next the Sea, fortunately the affliction left me as suddenly as it had come upon me and it was a mightly relieved cyclist that resumed his journey to Fakenham.
The road now ran south and for the first time in ages I found the wind helping me along  and I was in Fakenham by 4 and found the camp site where I find I am the only occupant of (no fair weather camper am I).
The campsite has a golf driving range and pitch and putt so after a warming hot chocolate I went to hit few golf balls which is a excellent stress reliever.
A nice walk into Fakenham to the pub fromwhere I write this whilst consuming a nice meal.
I will now attempt to upload some pics but if there aren't any you will know my uploading problem persists.
Good night.




2 comments:

  1. Ditch the tent! Surely you deserve warm nights and hot baths, while the reduced weight would really help. When I went to Germany with a bike from Harwich, I got so fed up with the tent before I'd even started, so I left it in a stationmaster's cupboard and collected it on my return. Have you got a new glove yet?
    Lovely pics - they are uploading fine. Cheers, Simon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got back from a few day foray to Scotland and just caught up on a number of your entertaining posts plus great pics. Ditto Simon, above: you have chosen the coldest March on record or for X years, you do not deserve to be in a tent. And have you replaced the glove. Cold hands are just not on, on a trip like this. Had good freshly made doughnuts out of a van on a warm Hunstanton beach about 19 years ago. You could have done with the "warm" bit. But maybe once the cold has gone, spring will suddenly jump into action. That hot ball in the sky shone on me today and i could almost feel it's warmth through the biting wind. I hope you see some of it and keep off those damned busy roads :)

    ReplyDelete