Monday 4 March 2013

Many years ago, I think 1974 or 5, I was a passenger in an old 650cc mini, one of five passengers, plus the driver (Ian), following my Dad's bright orange transit van (DIY converted to a camper van) up the very steep hill out of Langcliffe heading towars Malham. On one of the very steep corners my Dad almost stopped to go into first gear causing Ian to actually come to a halt. Lacking syncromesh on first gear Ian had to do a hill start in a dangerously overloaded and underpowered car on a 1:5 hill, it took much revving of engine, alrming smell of burning clutch and unchartiable comments about my Dad's driving but we made it up the hill and eventually to Malham Tarn where I remember going out in a boat and Dad actually swimming in the tarn.

Today I cycled round via Stackhouse, Stainforth, Sannat Hall and Cowside which brought me to the top of Langcliffe Brow. It is an alarmingly steep hill to go down on a bicycle with some very twisty corners and aimlessly wandering sheep to negotiate, good brakes are essential to get to the bottom alive and as you will deduce I had such brakes. Just as I reached the bottom I passed another cyclist heading up the way, 'it's easier this way' calls I in a cheery manner tinged with relief, he just gave me a withering, pitying look, I must learn to keep my mouth shut.

James and I did well at the quiz last night after weeks of not winning anything we managed to win 3 rounds so a cheap meal out for 4 people is now on the cards.

Two days rest now, will report again on Wednesday evening.

Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment