Thursday 28 March 2013

Day 15 Norwich. Maybe it is the appeal of the new and excitement of discovering somewhere different but as with Lincoln I have fallen for Norwich. I was not able to get a second night at the nice little B+B I stayed in last night (Ivydene, excellent breakfast and a good Lancashire welcome). So tonight I am back under canvas (or whatever the tent is made of) on a very pleasant site on the southern edge of the city. The day started with a visit to a power wash to clean the accumulated muck, sand and grit that has gathered on the chain and sprocket followed by visit to a bike shop to get some lubricant to replace that I had just washed off. I then went for a back rub to ease my aching shoulders and neck which was very thorough and left me feeling less tense. I then visited some gardens originally created in 1871 but abandoned in the early 20th century before being rediscovered and brought back to show status, they are hidden away next to the RC cathedral in the grounds of a hotel, in the summer I imagine they would be marvellous but looked a little sad today although the eccentric follies built of allsorts of brick, stone, tile and flint obviously salvaged from other buildings were worth seeing alone. As I write this having dinner in Wetherspoons (cheap food and free wifi) I can see the rays of the setting sun illuminating the spire of the cathedral, I am a lucky chap. I had a light lunch at a bike cafe (I have, like the gardens, forgotten what it is called, something to do with horse, 'dappled pony' perhaps), the jaffa cake cake was superb. After some more exploring and the purchase of a fleece blanket to keep me warm in the tent, I returned to the campsite to get washed and changed for a night on the town. So here I am in Wetherspoons writing this prior to going to the theatre to see 'A Midsummers Night Dream' to followed by a two mile nights walk back to the campsite. Norwich has some wonderful animal themed street names e.g. Rampant Horse Street and Greater and Lesser Goat Lanes, also everyone seems really friendly, helpful and chatty. The horn on my bike is very popular here it has been tootled many times to the amusement of those able to take pleasure from simple things, and that maybe what is special about Norwich, it feels a happy place, possibly because they have relearned the delight in the simple things in life. I haven't taken many pics today but I will now try to upload some. Good night. These pics show the gardens (name still not come to me) and the cathedral.

1 comment:

  1. Hope you're keeping warm in the tent. Never realised Norwich had such a stunning cathedral: Norfolk is my least known county in the country. Your trip just confirms to me that to journey to all our old and treasured county towns would uncover some of England (and scotland's) rarer delights. I wonder if you go near Walsingham - if so visit the Priory of Our Lady (Anglican) and say hello to Sister Alma from me.

    ReplyDelete