Wednesday 13 March 2013

Heysham. Not just the home of a nuclear power station and the departure point of the Isle of Man ferry but also a very ancient place with an interesting, but spookily deserted, old village centre with a charming old church.
It was here at Heysham that I was yesterday instead of posting on this blog. I went over to Lancaster to buy some last things for my trip before meeting my friend Ruth for a trip to Heysham Head and a lovely meal at the Gregson.

St Peter's church Heysham

St Patrick's chapel, ah bitter chill it was and the fingers froze to the Samsung note as the sun set. Heading towards Lancaster the last of the daylight reflected off the distant Ingleborough giving it an ethereal glow against the darkening sky.

Sunset behind the stone graves at St Patrick's chapel, Heysham.

On my way home this morning the snow covered Ingleborough looked splendid against the blue, cloud speckled sky.


Ingleborough clothed in white and veiled with cloud.

I have spent much of today packing my panniers and so far I am finding space for most of what I intend to take with me, I understand that at the end of the first day of pedalling I will discover many things are not essential and can be discarded to lighten the load, we shall see.

So, tomorrow is the day I set off, I just hope my preparation has been sufficient to see me through and my next post will be from Hebden Bridge.

Good night.


No comments:

Post a Comment