Wednesday 27 March 2013

Day 14
I rather like Norfolk it has a settled prosperous feel about it and in contrast to the air of decline apparent in Boston and Holbeach the towns and villages I have seen in Norfolk feel well kept and confident. Everywhere women in headscarves and barbour jackets and men in tweed caps and tan corduroy trousers. The countryside is gently rolling rather than unendingly flat like Lincolnshire. However, both counties appear to be overrun by wood pigeons/collared doves, they are here in huge numbers I suspect their predators have been driven out by game keepers anxious to protect their game birds, perhaps they should shoot the pigeons instead.

I spent my first night of the trip in my tent last night, it was cold but dry and I had a reasonable night and didn't freeze. My route today took me through Great Ryburgh with a striking church with a round tower, North Elmham with ruins of an early Bishop's Palace, Reepham and then on an old railway line to Norwich.

I found a nice little B+B close to the Roman Catholic cathedral (there were 17 coaches delivering people to a service there this evening). I had a wander round the city centre which looks interesting with a huge number of churches and old houses. I may stay another day here to have proper look round.

I will now try to upload some pics.

Good night.


These pics show my campsite, Great Ryburgh church, full moon and Norwich RC cathedral and my bike sunbathing at Hunstanton.


No comments:

Post a Comment