Saturday 16 March 2013

Day 2 I make no apology for not having posted yesterday, I was too busy being royally fed and entertained by my cousin and his wife at their splendidchome north of Sheffield. We had 25 years of news to catch up on and much talking was done as we rolled back the years, it was a lovely evening after a long day in the saddle. My day had started with breakfast at the B+B in Hebden Bridge and a ride along the Rochdale canal towpath to Elland and then up a big steep hill to Ainley top where I crossed the M62 then down into Huddersfield. (I have been trying to add a pic here but this device is not cooperating). I had my first incident as I came into Huddersfield when I caught a kerb and came off my bike but without any serious damage to me or the bike. My waterproof trousers and panniers suffered most and I think new trousers will be required. The journey onward along the A629 was frankly torturous a seemingly endless climb up to High Flatts where I made a short detour to view the Quaker Meeting House, but it is not the most photogenic building and the cobbles were very slippery. Talking of cobbles, why are so many bits of cobbled surface preserved? There was a time when cobbles were a great improvement on muddy paths but they are uncomfortable to ride over and lethal when wet and sloping there much better ways of creating a firm surface and there are plenty of places where cobbles can be preserved away from cycle tracks and towpaths. I called on my old friends Simon and Chris and enjoyed a chat and cup of tea before continuing on to Penistone where I came upon the Art House cafe and had a delicious fresh crumbly scone with jam and cream. Here I joined the Trans Pennine trail which follows an old railway line and creates an ideal habitat for cyclists and horse riders (if you ever need any fresh horse dung this trail is the place to come). I arrived at my cousin's home about 6 and after a lovely evening slept very well.4

No comments:

Post a Comment