Friday 1 March 2013

It is that time of year when dramatic changes happen in the countryside hereabouts.

It is that time when the fields become pungently aromatic and streaked with slurry and straw as the accumulated waste from overwintered cattle is liberally spread over the fields and roads inbetween to nutrify the pasture on which the cattle will graze over summer. Now that's recycling.

Talking of cycling I went for a brisk ride, dodging tractors and muck spreaders, by way of Rathmell, Wigglesworth, Bolton by Bowland, Tosside and Long Gill and although the sun was behind cloud today it was dry with good long distance views.

I slept in the tent again last night and solved one of the problems I had last time by wearing thermal socks and was very comfortably warm all night, even my nose was warmer which is just as well because I don't think nose warmers exist yet (I guess there are inherent dangers with such a thing). It also seemed quieter and by ensuring I was severely dehydrated having to get out for a wee was not a problem either (not sure that is a wise strategy though).

When I have told people about my cycle trip one of the things they ask is 'are you doing it for a charity' and it had not been my intention to do that as collecting sponsor money etc is a pain and it adds obligation. However, I have decided to set up a 'Just Giving' page at www.justgiving.com/rkhargreave so if you wish to support me by giving a donation to St Leonards Hospice in York you can do and I would be very grateful.

I have got my bike back with it's new tyres, brakes and cables it feels all very quiet and smooth, I will give it a good try out tomorrow.

Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment