Wednesday 20 March 2013

Day 6. The ride from Lincoln was a joy, although it was misty and foggy at first the ride along an old railway between the river and new cut gave it a surreal feel with water on both sides, a long straight track ahead and it all disappearing into a misty veil that gradually thinned ti pale sunshine. I saw and heard all sorts of birds including skylarks, various finches, grebes courting on the river, herons and many more. I have always argued that cycling up and down hills is more interesting and satisfying but when it comes to actually getting from one place to another cycling on the flat is wonderful, progress is gratifyingly rapid and the effort is manageable, none of that endless struggling up hill followed by a suicidal descent, no doubt I will come to look forward to a hill eventually. I am now in a delightful little cottage for afew days in the village of Old Bolingbroke which has a castle where Henry IV was born. The castle is now very ruinous but the village is rather quaint and randomly spread out, there is no shop and a pub that looks as welcoming as a workhouse, I shall try and post a picture of the sign outside the pub. James has come to join me for few days and he will take home some stuff I find I don't need to carry on the bike. Today we will find something interesting to do on a cold snowy March day in rural Lincolnshire. Still having problems with getting pics uploaded. Good night.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, ah...for the old county towns - I luv em.

    ReplyDelete