Saturday 30 March 2013

Day 17. Having cycled 52 miles the last thing I wanted was to sit for almost an hour on the quay at Felixstowe waiting for the ferry to Harwich especially since the ferry didn't come due to lack of demand. I admit I was the only person waiting but it didn't specify what level of demand is necessary for the ferry to run, so back into Felixstowe went I in search of a bed for the night and eventually found a nice hotel that doesn't charge silly money. It has struck me on this trip that the quality of b+b does not necessarily relate to the price charged, the very posh b+b at Long Sutton was only £35, less than I paid for more modest accommodation in Norwich. I had a really good evening last night catching up with an old friend I hadn't seen for about 24 years, we agreed we must not leave it so long before we meet again. I slept very well in my little tent but woke to covering of snow and this continued on and off all morning as I made my way through Diss, Eye and the delightful village of Debenham where the school had a stall selling cakes and a piece of lemon drizzle cake was just what I needed at that point. Thus nourished I pedalled with purpose through light snow showers to Woodbridge where a very busy market was being held selling everything from old fur coats to hotdogs. Being limited as to what I can carry I ignored the coats but did have a hotdog and bought some nice pate fortea. I then went to visit Sutton Hoo the site of a 7th century ship burial excavated just as war broke out in 1939, the exhibition was well presented and the recreations of the treasures found are stunning. I will try to upload a pic of the famous helmet at the end of this post. Having made good progress I decided to press on rather than staying in Woodbridge which is a very pretty place with lots of wonderful old buildings but is unbearably posh. So on to the little foot ferry across the river to Felixstowe. I had to take everything off the bike to go on the ferry which is a fiddly and time consuming business unfastening the panniers etc. I was astonished how big Felixstowe is it is 2.5 miles from the town to the quay and I missed the ferry by 10 minutes but the sign said there would be another in an hour (subject to demand) it being Easter weekend I was confident the demand would be there but as the time came for the ferry to arrive and I was clearly the only one waiting it dawned on me I should have phoned but it turns out if I had requested the ferry in time I would have been charged 3 adult fares (£18) so am pleased I avoided that trap. The first ferry tomorrow is at 10.30 but I may abandon going to Bradwell and Southminster and strike out for Oxford, I will decide in the morning. Good night. https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiXyhmV-PNd0qZbzmEZPQiswWpbMnnxni1pm0g_21UTOo1iitgAuGk_hqyg7vIBhPbm2AmPx8GPgE1H1U4LOjCJwSeBi17GJZvYfvOA3FW8MypBDc5I7FexO0GbSylmkayG39VjeB6PgA7d/s320/20130330_155828.jpg" />

1 comment:

  1. what a lovely pic of a ferry - or whatever boat it is; you are patently not on it so mebbe a ferry. Glad to hear the bike horn is coming in useful xxR

    ReplyDelete