Thursday 7 March 2013

I am a trusting soul so when the weather forecaster said today would be wet I took them at their word.
To be fair it was raining first thing, I could hear the drops hitting the conservatory roof (when it is hail you can't hear anything else), so I prepared for today's ride by donning full waterproofs and leaving my glasses behind. By the time I reached Rathmell it wasn't even drizzling and although it remained very grey and overcast only puddles and spray from passing vehicles wet me.

I had my device attached today that records my speed and distance and I reached 30.2 mph on the descent to the bridge over the Ribble at Paythorne although only managed 5.1 mph up the other side. My rule will be if my cycling speed drops below 4 mph I get off and push.

I continued on to Barnoldswick and passed the Rolls Royce factory before stopping to admire Greenber Field locks on the Leeds - Liverpool canal. In summer this is a popular place often with several brightly painted canal boats waiting to get through the locks, today it looked rather dismal.

Imagine the sunshine and the boats.

I stopped at the shop in West Marton, there can be few places as small as West Marton that have such a friendly and well stocked shop, if you are passing on the A59 it is well worth a look.

On to Hellifield to get some potted meat (best I have ever found) from the butchers there as my youngest son is coming home today and he very fond of their potted meat.

I achieved a speed of 31.5 mph on a downhill bit on the way home and on arriving home had completed exactly 30 miles in 2 hours 45 minutes, I was happy with that.

I have had to take the bike to the bike shop as the sprocket set and chain need replacing so better to do it now before I set off.

There will now be a break in these posts. Be back on Monday.

Good night, have a nice weekend, I know I will.

1 comment:

  1. You show great fortitude, and I don't think I'd last 5 minutes on our rather busy highways and byways. the very best of luck... particularly on Monday in the snow. Mark.

    ReplyDelete